For schools, caring for children and adolescents, making them become the country's precious human resources is considerably important. It is necessary to adopt a strategy which accommodates all school personnel's health needs and to properly utilize various opportunities to facilitate health. In other words, ways to maintain schoolchildren's health early through school health work need to be actively increased and expanded in order to achieve a Holistic Care goal.
How Taiwan Promotes HPS Program?
The core philosophy of this program is "going with the world in health promotion, pursuing health sustainable operations and changing-effects". And it is based on the material administrative policy of the Ministry of Education continuing to advance HPS: "The Ministry of Education will subsidize local governments to undertake school health promoting implementation programs". The program also mentions:
• Facilitating schools to evaluate students’ and faculty's health promoting needs comprehensively.
• Combining community resources, and guiding students through implementation of health education and activities and health service. Faculty shall spontaneously and voluntarily build health management.
• All local governments can effectively utilize all available resources during advancing programs. And their program execution efficiency will be enhanced to achieve set health goals and propose material results.
This suggests that the Ministry of Education is determined to enact school health acts and relevant laws, evaluate HPS implementation results, and build an evidence-based basis for Taiwan HPS implementation results. In order to meet the Ministry of Education's expectations for HPS, this program includes the following 8 points in advancing key implementation principles of the Ministry of Education's second generation HPS:
1. To effectively operate bottom up or top down and continue to keep the communication with different public and private agencies unobstructed. To build a top down, bottom up, right-left, left-right, longitudinal and lateral mutual trust, support, guiding, negotiation, evaluation mechanism.
2. Having adequate policy leading power intervening and policy support to draft annual highlights and administrative policy.
3. Program policy needs to set short-term, mid-term and long-term goals.
4. Value full participation from the central government and local governments.
5. Implementation process and results are evidence-based.
6. Operation of network support from integration of lateral link and cross-organization system resources.